Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Openings Department of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, China
I. About the School
The history of School of Life Sciences (SLiS) at Nanjing University can be traced back to the establishment of the Department of Agriculture at the University of Nanking in 1914, and the foundation of the Biology Department at Nanjing Advanced Teachers College (later known as National Southeast University) by Dr. Bing Zhi in 1921. We are the first Biology department among all Chinese universities and one of the country's oldest institutions for life science research and education. In 1992, the Department of Biology and Department of Biochemistry were officially merged and became the new School of Life Sciences.
Throughout its century-long history, the school has maintained an unwavering commitment to a realistic scientific spirit, a rigorous academic style, and an enterprising scholarship tradition. Many of China’s outstanding scholars have studied and worked here, including over 60 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
Today, the school has five departments: Biology, Biochemistry, Ecology, Physiology and Artificial Intelligence Biology, and Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Sciences. It is home to three national talent-training bases: the National Base for Talent Cultivation in Scientific Research and Teaching, the National Base for Talent Cultivation in Life Science and Technology, and the National Exemplary Experimental Teaching Center in Life Sciences. In addition, it houses two national research platforms, including the State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and the National Resource Center for Mutant Mice. It also hosts several ministerial and provincial research centers, such as the Key Laboratory of Model Animals and Disease Research of the Ministry of Education (MOE), the Engineering Research Center of Protein and Peptide Medicine of MOE, the Jiangsu Engineering Research Center for MicroRNA Biology and Biotechnology, and the Nanjing University Institute of Biotechnology (approved by MOE).
The School has established a high-quality faculty team including 53 professors and 47 associate professors. Among our faculty members, we have 8 Changjiang Scholars, 11 recipients of the National Outstanding Youth Fund, 4 recipients of the National Young Talents Program, 7 recipients of the National Excellent Youth Fund, 19 awardees of the MOE’s New Century Talents Program, and one Distinguished Professor of the Jiangsu Province. Our research teams have also been designated one “Innovative Research Group of the National Natural Science Foundation of China” and two innovative teams under the MOE's “Development Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Teams”.
The Nanjing University School of Life Sciences plans to recruit outstanding young talents from all over the world who are interested in the major research directions of life sciences to work in the School. There are five openings at the level of tenure-track associate professor or tenure-track assistant professor (No more than 2 tenure-track associate professors). The candidates are expected to teach and research in the following areas:
1.Biology (Neurobiology, Physiology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Synthetic Biology, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Etc.);
2.Pharmacy (Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Etc.);
3.Ecology (Animal Ecology, Plant Ecology, Microbial Ecology, Ecosystem Ecology, Landscape Ecology, Restoration Ecology And Sustainable Ecology, Etc.).
The applicant should
(1) Compliance with law and regulations of the People's Republic of China, devoted to teaching and research;
(2) Good professional ethics and noble individual virtues, abide by the academic norms, work with due diligence, have no criminal record and have no record of violating teaching ethics and academic ethics;
(3) Ph.D. in life science, experience in studying and/or working at first-rate teaching and research institutions, who is familiar with international cutting-edge research trends in related fields. And postdoctoral experience at world leading institutions will be a plus. The applicant for Assistant Professor should have engaged in academic research for more than two years after receiving the doctoral degree. The applicant for Associate Professor should have engaged in academic research for more than four years after receiving the doctoral degree;
(4) Excellent teaching abilities, competent in the core basic courses and the frontier courses of the discipline, good pedagogy and strong presentation ability;
(5) Scientific research achievements visibility and future development potential: Great achievements in relevant research directions, original views on relevant research fields, clear ideas for future research plans, and good academic potential.
IV. Application Materials Required
(1) Curriculum Vitae in both Chinese and English (including a publication list);
(2) Research Statement;
(3) Research Plan;
(4) Three reference letters;
(5) Teaching plan.
Please login to the talent recruitment platform of Nanjing University (http://zp.nju.edu.cn/) to submit the application materials required.
V. Compensation Package and Support
(1) An annual salary (to be worked out individually);
(2) A start-up fund for research;
(3) Qualification to supervise graduate students;
(4) The university provides short-term lodging and housing subsidies. Applicants recruited can purchase commercial housing offered by the university at a special discount;
(5) The university provides assistance with children’s schooling at primary and secondary school levels.
VI. Application Deadline
Application deadline: June 28, 2023
The application period will be extended appropriately if the number of the applicants for single postition is relatively small.
Expected date of announcement of application results: The end of September, 2023.
VII. Contact Details
Tel.: +86-25-83592362 (Ms. Liu)